Saturday 25 October 2014

Tate Britain Sept 10

So here is a delicious salad I made in September. I know it is silly to blog it, but I HATE making salads, so I am proud of myself when I actually make one, even prouder wean I eat one and most proud when I eat one that I made and actually like it!


This is a view out the back bedroom window. I wish I could get out there to our patio below, but we aren't allowed!


On the 10th we decided to go to the Tate Britain. It is a lovely collection with a wide variety of exhibits. This is the rising of the dead on judgement day - an intriguing subject for a modern painting.



I'm just going to highlight a few of the pieces that impressed me. It is a large collection with great diversity.


This Epstein piece is unsettling somehow.


This one is by Richard Deacon. It reminds me a bit of "Corn Poppy" in the Houston Museum of Fine Arts.






Blogger doesn't seem to be cooperating with me right now in terms of text, so I am having trouble commenting on these in the appropriate places - anyway - you can see gainsborough as well as quite a few Pre-raphaelite treasures in the Tate.



The Ophelia below is quite well-known and a very sumptuous, saturated painting. (Appropriate for someone floating in the water, I suppose.)

This was a gigantic piece in one of the hall-like rooms. Last time I visited the Tate, they were disassembling it and it was just a gigantic pile of two by fours!


The painting with the cat is David Hockney.  Below you can see one of several Francis Bacon paintings.


I got a kick out of this video of a man in a "Cheap Gorilla Suit". Basically he pranced around until it fell into shreds. (He had to help it a long a bit, but it was a silly video.

 

This mouse was very large, but still whimsical.


One of the neatest things at the Tate was the Henry Moore collection.
 

I was captivated by this white piece which has scrawled etching on it like a piece of ivory (evn though it is actually plaster).


Moore started off as a war correspondent/illustrator. He did the image below from memory.

There were too many Moore pieces to photograph, but this was a nice family group.
 


The story of Moore at the Tate is amusing (now) but rather sad really.


Another Bacon triptych.
 

More Epstein.  (See that door behind it - I completely missed it, because I was so fascinated by the sculpture. (I had to go back a second time to find the Turner exhibit that was in the room behind.)


A temporary exhibit that I absolutely loved was on paintings that might not be high art, but which were extremely popular in their day.


This one of a temperamental 14 year old was hugely popular - and you can see why. It really captures that insolent and frustrated sense of the young teenage girl. You might have thought Victorian teenagers had different moods, but you can see from this that puberty hasn't really changed.


This one is very familiar. The frame was actually carved by the model (The wife of the painter.) There were a few images of famous people, that were also fun to see. This is Thomas Hardy


Here's Somerset Maugham in a new hat.


I also took note of a few things just for my own edification. I have a terrible time doing trees and landscapes, so I wanted to look at how some of the professionals did them.


This one is by Gainsborough, noted for his figures, but you can see that he is amaster of landscape too.
 

One other well known image has to be included, the Lady of Shallott.


It was a very inspiring time in the Tate and I would visit it several more times while here and enjoyit just as much with each visit.


No comments: