Sunday 19 August 2007

Six Portraits For Your Consideration

My spousal unit was greatly looking forward to Renaissance Festival this year and as you know, I am a belly dancer, so we knew we would have to go the first weekend when the Faire has a Middle Eastern theme and features the troupe of Cassandra (one of the greats of American Style Belly Dancing.) Unfortunately despite the fact that we are in a severe drought and have had NO rain all Summer, the forecast was for heavy showers for both days of the weekend. This meant Don and I suffered great indecision on which of the two days to go, since the weather forecast alternated for extremest misery between the two days with neither seeming terribly promising. Finaly we just decided to go on the opening day. If we were going to be miserable then we wanted a day to recover before the true misery of the work week began.

...So it was off to the Fayre. Of course we shopped and watched shows in the pouring rain. I bought the absolutely ugliest hat anyone has ever seen. (Off the head it looks pathetic and yet when placed on the pate, it is magical and turns itself and the wearer into a thing of beauty. (I'll post on it at a later time.))

I also got a chance to try and ruin my new camera in the rain. (Didn't happen). I love the long lens of the new Nikon, because I can take portraits and although people know that the camera is pointed at them, they seem to think they are part of a bigger picture. I'm enjoying the results so far.

This is one of the dancers at the show. There is nothing spectacular in this photo, but I liked the expresson on her face.



I was fascinated by this child in a Mickey Mouse mack. The ears were always crooked and the child had such a delicate face.



I asked for permission to take this picture and the woman told me that she had asked the face painter to give her an air of mystery.



I was also enchanted by this face. I think I like the full face version best, but each image has its own charm. You decide.



I love it when the person sees you taking the picture - there is a moment of recognition and a certain indifference or even brashness that follows which says - "Go ahead make my day! Take my picture I dare you and crave you to do so."



This is probably my favorite - it speaks to the weather and the nature of the day.

16 comments:

Pamela said...

that last picture could be someone out of lord of the rings... handsome, too.


a local university sponsors a similar renaissance fair.. but I rarely go. sad... huh

AfKaP said...

pameal - The rain, the expression - I do like that picture. By the way your moth picture is gorgeous!

ChrisB said...

What a pity you had a rainy day. Those face paintings are beautiful and I agree with Pamela about the last photo- he is rather dishy!!

Anonymous said...

I came for the hat, but the portraits are lovely. I like the profile, but then, that's just me. All of them are great.

AfKaP said...

ChrisB -So now I know your type. Is that what MB looked like back in the day?

Min- All in good time.

neroli said...

What Min said!

I dislike having my photo taken; yet I'd let you take a shot any day of the week.

Nessa said...

Great pictures. My daughter and I go to the PA REN FAIRE. We love all of the people we see there.

Guilty Secret said...

Those photos with the face paint are awesome!

AfKaP said...

Min and Neroli - When I shot the profile, I knew it was a shot that I was going to love. The person in question is photgenic- so both shots are lovely (I think).

Neroli - You are beautifula dn should love to have your photo taken but I am honored that you say this and will remind you of it in the future when I show up with my camera - I do ofcourse have some v3ry nice pictures of you.

GN - Neroli is also in Pennsylvania a bit farther out from Philadelphia! Do go and enjoy the Faire!

Guilty Secret - Thanks for visiting and thanks for the compliment!

captain corky said...

The last guy reminded me of a Jedi. Great pics!

Anonymous said...

The last picture is kind of haunting and I'm totally impressed by the lady with the sword on her head. (Great pictures!)

Tiggerlane said...

Ooooh, yes, the last photo is awesome. His eyes are piercing thru the rain....

I used to participate in the local Renaissance Fair in Texas - and miss it. What great fun to play dress up and travel back in time.

Debs said...

I love the pics but the last one is my favorite.

Anonymous said...

I like them all...the last 3 are my favorites.
Are you using that new Nikon?

Anonymous said...

I like that last picture too - he looks very mysterious with the cloak...yes, like he came out of a Tolkien book.

Anonymous said...

I love love love the the ren fest it is a delight;)