Monday 13 August 2007

Home Sweet Co-op

I love visiting the Co-op in the big city, because of all the interesting people I see there. It is rather ironic, really because I realized that part of the reason that I feel so at home there is because there are people "like me" around. Of course that is a relative term - because they are really rugged individualists and like no one else and the relationship of similarity lies in the fact that we are more like each other than the other people around us. I'm in a group of people who don't like to be like other people and that is what gives us our sense of belkonging! Here are some of the people I saw on my last visit to The Wedge in Minneapolis:

This woman seems to be really tall.



...and there are always a wide variety of hats...



and long skirts...







People have special ways of getting to the coop:



and are not averse to getting closer to their food:





They also use ornament on more than just their clothing.



Here is a closer view of that amazing tattoo.



This was our cashier. I have always been amazed at his ear ornaments since they seem to follow in the earsteps of the Botocudo Indians in South America who inseret large wooden round objects in their ears increasing the size until they have huge objects dangling in their lobes.

8 comments:

dieter said...

life art maybe? I like to watch people, not Necessarily in a voyeuristic way either LOL. Yes bending over and looking at what's on the lower shelves is worthwhile.It's where all the local product is now.
keep snapping!

ChrisB said...

I have often wanted to photograph people but don't have enough nerve. On the few times I have used my camera in a store I've been given some funny looks!!

Beccy said...

Did any of these people realise you were taking their picture?

I'd be too self concious to take photos but love to people watch too.

captain corky said...

Thanks for the tour. That woman's tattoo is amazing!

Anonymous said...

I love the people at my local co-op. That and the food there is amazing!
(I will gladly take a jar of organic crunchy peanut butter any day!)

AfKaP said...

Dieter- I love the different body language of the people crouching down and of course the coop has mostly local stuff which is a good reason to shop there.

ChrisB and Beccy - I try to be discreet but my small camera keeps switching to autoflash, so that wasn't always easy! I did get a few funny looks when my camera flashed, but most people were intent on shopping and didn't even turn around.

CC - Yes it is apretty major tattoo and not even too unusual for the people that shop there.

Nikki - Crunchy Pbutter was on sale - let me know next time before i get home! (grin).

bichonpawz said...

LOVE this post, Purple! I think I saw some of my family members!! LOL Isn't people-watching the BEST?

Anonymous said...

I love co-op people. Take them as they are...or don't take them at all. The shopping's the thing.