Wednesday 1 August 2007

Minneapolis Bridge Collapses

I have been getting enquiries - and want to let everyone know that we were not in the Cities today when the bridge collapsed. We are fine. My heart goes out to the poor people on that bridge.



This , is an AP photo from ABC News (Brandi Jade Thomas/ Pioneer Press/ Photo.) Please go to the link to see more. It was the only good photo I could find last night.

For more information about the situation, pictures etc. do visit The Star Tribune

or that other paper (Thanks, Laurie) The Pioneer Press

10 comments:

captain corky said...

Very sad. How many more preventable disasters do we have to have in this country before something changes?

I left this same comment over at another blog, but this is how I feel.

laurie said...

glad you're ok.

better links:

minneapolis star tribune

st. paul pioneer press

Anonymous said...

GLad to hear your okay, although I bugged Min until she would tell me you were safe. I'm sneaky like that.

Anonymous said...

*Shudder* They're doing a whole thing on our news now to explain what horrible shape our Houston bridges and overpasses are in because of the rain. Scary

AfKaP said...

Everyone - I'm sure many bridges in the US are in the same condition. My THEORY - the vibrations from superficial repair work may have set up non-harmonic vibrations in a substandard bridge and sent the whole think crashing down. Who knows!

ChrisB said...

I just heard about this on the news today. Such a tragedy for those families who have lost loved ones :(

Tiggerlane said...

Good to hear you are safe!

Doesn't Prince live around those parts?

And I like your theory - good one.

AfKaP said...

Haven't heard about Prince - but he doesn't seem like the type to be driving over a bridge at rush hour - not even in a little red corvette

Beckie said...

So glad you weren't in the city when this happened. Very sad indeed.

bichonpawz said...

Glad to hear you are ok, Purple. My husband's daughter and her family live in Plymouth, MN, but were here visiting us in NY at the time of the collapse. It is just plain s c a r y.