Monday 20 August 2007

Lies and the Lying Liars that Lie about (them)

(Apologies to Al Franken - who I hope will be my new senator in a few years - for embroidering on his book title)

Fun Monday - Topic: White Lies we have told. From the Other Bear and Uncaring Bear

My favorite episode of Buffy the Vampire Slater is called "Lie to Me". It refers to the heroine's knowledge that the world has bad entities in it and that we must all be constantly vigilant to keep evil at bay. I love that episode because she asks her mentor to lie and say that the world is a safe and rosy place for just that evening, when they both know it is not the case. Still there is a tenderness to the lull that allows them to pretend the world is really at peace. Like Buffy I know we must be constantly vifilant and have a very difficult time living in a world that is not always completely honest (even though there are times I like to dream it is.)



I'm simply not a person prone to lies. My father was a Kantian and for Immanuel Kant the famous enlightenment philosopher, lies were out of the question. Even if a murderer was asking where his victim-to-be was hiding, Kant said one had to tell the truth. His reasoning was that morals break down if one is unsure about whether and when to trust others.

Life, of course, is rarely that simple. I rarely recognize the murderers who ask me pointed questions - and in general I suffer from the inability to lie easily, even when everyone would be better off if I did. I told my aunt that I did not like her birthday gift one year. It was a leather hat and at the time I was a vegetarian, so I told her I did not want to be complicit in the murder of innocent animals. That wasn't a very good idea. It made her and my mother and father very angry with me and the animals that died and made up the hat were still dead and none the better for my honesty.

Because I tell the truth so easily, I also believe others as easily. My sister Min has told me all manner of improbable stories and I have believed her every single time. Austin, Texas is bigger than Chicago. It is a custom for construction workers to plant trees on top of buildings when they are finished. Stop signs aren't obligatory in Spring Branch, (a suburb of Houston, Texas). She knows so much about so many things and you know what, the world is a beautiful place with those things she has told me about. Last week she told me that Abe Vigoda is still alive -



I told her I believed her - but you know - I'm not really sure - Do you think she'll tell me the truth when he does die if he isn't dead already? She says he's livng indisguise in a bunker in lower Queens with Elvis and JFK where they play poker and smoke cigars all night long.



Can you imagine those conversations? I hope it is true. Tonight I do not want to have to be vigilant. Lie to me, even if just for a while.

20 comments:

theotherbear said...

Wow, they plant trees on top of buildings in Texas?
Great post. And wouldn't it be nice if things were all safe and rosy. Even if only for one night.

Molly said...

For tonight, the world is a lovely place where peace abounds, and the peoples of the Earth love and trust each other.

Enemy of the Republic said...

When are lies necessary? I always wonder.

My brother lives in Minneapolis. I go there a lot, but not recently.

neroli said...

I'd love to be a "fly on the wall" during these conversations!

Pamela said...

Elvis is alive in my memories.

I've seen gardens on top of skyscrapers.

Eve believed the serpent. Adam knew the truth, and HE lied about it.

I think Abe is still alive.

AfKaP said...

Other Bear - Yes it turns out they do pklant those trees = I just found out my sister was lying about lying!

mjd - Yes For tonight! (One day at a time Tomorrow we will try again!

Enemy - Kant says they aren't but I tink there may be times when they are. As for the murderer. I think I would say that I'mnot going to tell him where the victim-to-be is. (That wouldn't be a lie - although guess the corollary is that s/he will kill me if I don't tell him/her.)

Neroli - I'm sure they seem very silly to others.

Pamela - You live in a beautiful world! (Except for Adam and Eve). As for Abe, Not you too!

Anonymous said...

Ok, if you really want me to lie to then then fine...Yes I will respect you in the morning.

Anonymous said...

WHOA - I knew Min had a sister, but I did not realize it was you!!!!

Is she lying about Abe - I've believed her all along.

ChrisB said...

This reminded me of a throw away remark I made when Sam was a kid and asked me what a was a 'conservative'. I was busy at the time and how do you quickly explain politics to a young kid. So I just stupidly said 'labour wear red ties and conservatives wear blue' how dumb was this (years later she reminded me of this lie- now why didn't I think of this for my fun monday it would have given everyone a laugh)!!

Nessa said...

This was great. Life is beautiful and truth is a matter of perception.

Unknown said...

Lovely, well written post! I have fallen victim many times to my dad's lies. "The moon is cheese" is one example. When he says anything to my kids they look at me for confirmation or denial. NO one in the family trusts grandpa. :) BUt we all love him.

AfKaP said...

Willowtree - Wrong lie - I don't think respect is what i want from a fun person like you! Besides I'm so out of it in the morning, what difference does it make?

Karmyn - As far as I know, independent research shows that Abe Vigoda is still alive.

Chrisb - Oh, is that a lie - it sounds so charmingly correct - except red is a more revolutionary color so I would have gone the other way!

GN - I oerceive your truth!

Lisa's Chaos (actually probably Lisa) - I think you have something there. My father used to tell me things like that too - now I know where she got it from!

Anonymous said...

Yay for Pamela! Elvis will always be alive! (that is if I have anything to say about it.)

Anonymous said...

wouldn't it be nice if it wern't all all a lie?

Beccy said...

You sound so like me...gullable.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about beccy the whole time I was reading this, because I remember her defining the word gulible.

You never believe anything I tell you anymore, it's all moot, you just keep me around for my mock pumpkin pie.

Just out of curiosity, what is it that you do want from Willowtree, cause we may need to talk.

AfKaP said...

Nikki - Some of us just have to bring up Elvis every so often.

Wolf baby - we can dream!

Beccy - Yes, we share that little problem!

Min - Oh gosh - I'll never forget that pie without pumpkin I really liked it!

As for Willow - I learned the hard way, respect is over-rated - What could I want form Willow....?

mindy said...

buffy is one of my all time favs.. i loved the episode "hush".. even though the "gentlemen" gave me nightmares.. i loved that over half the show was silent. brilliant!

AfKaP said...

Mindy - I almost called you a liar! (grin) My sister's name is Mindy and she refuses to watch Buffy - I thought she was writing and trying to impress me by cheating with wikipedia! Hush is a great episode!! The idea of having one's voice stolen is so significant to me - Buffy was one of my favorite series and I was very sad when it ended.

mindy said...

i know.. i freaked out when it ended. i still sing the songs from the musical episode. haha!!