Wednesday 8 August 2007

Six and a half (Im)ponderables



Enemy of the Republic over at website Cruel Virgin is a tremendously insightful artist and soul in pain. She has been pondering things she does not understand and her words have been cause for much contemplation on my part of late. She recently posted a list of things she does not understand about the world - each and every one a great subject for a blog post of its very own. Her list includes such things as Reality Shows, Love ("Isn't it really just a big waste of time?") and the relative lack of worth of human versus animal life in the estimations of many people. Please check it out at the link above. I was thinking I would make a short list of my own. Unfortunately I am not as pensive as Enemy and was only able to come up with a fraction of the imponderables cited by Enemy at a fraction of the importance. Nonetheless, here are 6.5 things I don't understand:

1. Why people are so terrified of difference.

2. Why people prefer an explanation that suggests people are "evil" to an understanding of what led a person to behave the way s/he did.

3. Why human beings can not make a comfortable all cotton bra in real women's sizes. (Come to think of it, maybe the makers of bras really are evil.)

4. How to fix a corrupt system after corruption becomes the currency of the social web.

5. How some people can be such exemplary optimistic people in adversity while others crumble and become despondent and cruel under the same circumstances (such as quadraplegia or cancer. Bless you, George, for your equanimity and kindness all the way to the end!)



6. How human beings can think that just because an organism belongs to a "lesser" species and can not speak for itself, it feels no pain and is therefore acceptable to torture it for human whim, beauty or fun.

7. Schadenfreude. (and yet, maybe I do, If bra makers suffer then it's a good thing?...)

This was supposed to be a serious list (and is). I don't know why I am feeling so jovial today, maybe I'd better make an appointment with my doctor.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you had called me last night, I could have answered all these questions for you and you wouldn't have had to post at all.
It is a very good list, however. I've noticed that you are a good lister. I remember this from a time when you were listing much more serious things like all the Dick Van Dyke episodes (If I recall, you named all but three).

Keep up the good mood!

captain corky said...

"(Come to think of it, maybe the makers of bras really are evil.)"

When my wife groans about bras, she likes to remind me that a man invented them. ;)

AfKaP said...

I did call last night but y'all's dinnertime is after my bedtime. You know how to dial a phone? Descriptions sound to obscene to continue. (grin)

AfKaP said...

Corky - Yeah and we women wear them! Stupid is as stupid does. In theory bras are a good idea - but this is another place where theory and practice have a long history fraught with difficulty.

Anonymous said...

Or how about an affordable bra with different cup sizes for each boob? How many women vary in size between the girls?!??!

AfKaP said...

Nikki, That may be asking for too much!

Anonymous said...

i like how you mixed it up..

everywoman that i know of have different sizes every woman that i know of dreams of finding afordable bras that fit...

ahhh well the beaty of a dream

Nessa said...

Why can't someone make a decent bra? This should be possible.

There are so many things that don't make sense in this world. I limit myself to thinking of only one a day otherwise my brain begins to hurt.

Bello (Buddy) Manjaro said...

that bra makes my eyes hurt.

dieter said...

People who recieve spinal cord injurys are not the only ones that suffer.I have been a quad for many years now and honestly think its harder for those around me than it is for me.It so much more excepted now than when it happened to me.
We put men on the moon but making a bra that fits seems to hard.

AfKaP said...

Dieter - That is so true. I have a friend who used to be a cross-country bicyclist and he had an accident that left him a quadraplegic and he has taken this change in condition with grace and good humor, while I have met others who end up wheelchair bound who have become nasty and full of self-pity. My friend George had bone cancer which was painful and yet he was kind and good natured up until the end. It is a mystery.

Debs said...

I take bras very serious too, and finding a decent one is like finding the fountain of youth.