Tuesday 5 June 2007

Order from the Chaos

As you know - my camera broke this week and I have been having a particularly hard time without it. I'm missing blogs and calling people by their wrong names and generally not sleeping well because a decision has to be made about how to replace the missing necessity of my life. I know I want a nice big SLR with a good lens and unfortunately the one I want isn't available right now, so I decided in the meantime that I would order something cheap to get me through the time until I can get the bigger better camera.

So I sat down and started doing research. This means checking out every single camera that has been produced in the last 20 years - just in case I might miss the very best camera for my needs. Good grief there are alot of cheap (and not so cheap) digital cameras out there! I printed stuff out every time something looked interesting and three days later I literally had a pile of papers almost 2 inches thick!! I checked ebay, I checked Amazon, I checked the price comparison people - I even ventured into a couple of stores. Each time I learned of new (and discontinued) models and had to go back to the drawing board (otherwise known as the internet) to check and see if that number of megapixels with that amount of optical zoom for this price was a better fit for me. (I really just wanted my old camera back, but they wanted way too much for it used on ebay (I guess I'm not the only one that feels that way and others are more willing to pay for that security!))

So after all that reading I was stuck and finally had to make a decision based on pure instinct. I went for the camera that was most like my old camera, but one that had a bit more zoom. Here it is: (The lens is on top in this first image).



This is the Nikon Coolpix S10. It is a discontinued camera, but I got it because (like my old 995) the camera body swivels so that you can hold it above your head or at waist level and still take a picture.



Here is the front. I know it is a bit peculiar looking, but I assume I'll get used to it. I ordered it through J and R Electronics in New York (who has always done well by me) and should get it by Friday.



I hope it will be better than my old camera (I know technology has improved over the last 5 years - so I imagine I will not be disappointed). I can hardly wait!!

4 comments:

For the Love... said...

Yeah! I look forward to more great pictures. I just checked to make sure my camera was still in its bag, your post has me twitchy at the idea of having to replace it.

ChrisB said...

That looks a neat camera; I like the swivel idea, Fri will soon be here!!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for our next photo trip!! Don't forget to send in that warentee/registration card!

AfKaP said...

reevesfarm - Yeah, scary, huh!? Funny what we don't realize we can't live without!!

Chrisb - We'll see! Just talked to the order company and they say it will arrive on Thursday! Woo hoo!!

Min - Yeah! - When do you want to go? I'll pencil you in!