Friday 22 June 2007

And The Answer Is...



Well, after a flurried exchange with the Department of Natural Resources, a kindly soul named Luke was able to disabuse me of my fears that the boll weevils were invading Minnesota (In short, he thought I was crazy - (so what else is new?) but was very Minnesota nice about it.) It turns out what I saw was a snout weevil of some kind. (Seems imminently logical!) After looking around the web I was able to locate some Unversity entomology sites that give me a reasonable idea of what I might have. Bless University of Michigan and Texas A and M!



Luke explained to me that the bollweevil has spikes on his legs, while the Acorn and Nut weevils have smooth, shapely legs.



(Remember the entomologists (portrayed by Dan Butler and Paul Lazar) on Silence of the Lambs playing chess with the beetles?)



Enough said.

Maybe not enough said - Here is the Boll Weevil Monument mentioned in the Commetns! Pretty Amazing! I definitely need to make a pilgrimmage there some day!

8 comments:

For the Love... said...

I was just in Enterprise, home of the boll weevil statue...you really out to check this thing out:
http://www.southeastalabama.com/Agriculture/BollWeevil.htm

Loverly no?

Anonymous said...

WHEW ! So glad for your research...at least I know I'm not an Acorn or Nut Weevil since I don't have smooth, shapely legs. But, I am a little concerned about the BollWeevil...think I'll go see if these spikes will shave off.
Don't know much about the University of Michigan but I love those Texas Aggies.

ChrisB said...

wendy I am learning a lot about the 'weevil' family but I still hope I never get up close and friendly with any of them!!

neroli said...

Now you have done me a random act of kindness...!...I absolutely love the image of the weevil statue you've posted. I can't look at it without feeling, well, bemused in a really amusing way. I can only imagine that I might need to wear adult diapers should I ever have the chance to regard it in person, I might laugh so hard. I'd love to see what kind of monument you would dream up, should you choose to commemorate the nut weevil's appearance...

AfKaP said...

Neroli- I don't know - I think the boll weevil monument would be pretty hard to outdo - I mean its excess is beyond my ability to exaggerate - but I'll think about it and see what I can do!

Nessa said...

Does it really matter what kind of bug you've got? They all look yucky.

For the Love... said...

Hey, If you really want to check this thing out you have to come to the....wait for it....Boll Weevil Festival!

AfKaP said...

Swampy - I'm not so sure - yo look like you might have very shapely legs!

Golden- You are a true egalitarian - but for those of us htat garden, what kind of bug can make a world of difference! I believe in live and let live, but when something attacks my iris or daylily collection, I turn mean!

For the love of - I think I would tryly enjoy the festival - but nothing can top the neoclassical statue! That is literally over the top!