Friday 8 June 2007

Need Help on The Baby Blanket

Okay, Here is the story on the baby blanket. My husband has a colleague at work who is about to have a baby, so he volunteered one of my already made blankets for a baby blanket. (These however are silk or other unsuitable materials, so I agreed to make a new blanket.) I had some clearance stuff that I thought I'd use and I began knitting the castle section of the blanket. You can't really tell, but it has silver strands in it - so it glistens a bit besides being a rather unspectacular light green. Here is a better image:



Well of course I soon realized I would not have enough yarn for a whole blanket, so I'd better put a border on it. Thinking Sleeping Beauty I decided to do a rose briar edging (the yellow) and then add some of the remaining green as leaves along the edges. Well. It turns out I don't have enough green yarn for that either! Yesterday I finally broke downa nd ordered another ball of green mail order (with postage costing as much as the silly yarn!!) Nonetheless - the question I have is this. I was originally planning to put four flowers of some kind in the corners. I had thought perhaps a green and yellow design might be nice, but lately I have been wondering if pink roses of some kind would be too much. I was going to lace some yellow into the windows and door to help keep the babie's fingers from getting tangled in the open spots.

Do you think the dusky pink in the photo would be too much. I think babies see red colors first so I'm leaning towards adding pink roses. Reevsfarms and others weigh in please!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. I'm not sure I like it...It might distract too much from the lovely pattern and design. I like the idea of a third color, but I'm not sure how I would do it.

For the Love... said...

I just don't know. You already have some remarkable design features, the castle, the yellow briar edging and then the leaves. If you have enough to finish the yellow part all the way around and the leaves I might do that and then maybe use the dusky pink in some sort of overstitch design. Something subtle, maybe like tiny little french knots/rosebuds around the edging.

What ever you choose I am sure it will be beautiful. Did you do the castle from a chart? I am so bad with charts, I have to sit down and convert them to written directions.

I have got to find a new project, I am kind of in a funk.

Here is a link to a few goofy things I knitted:
http://www.reevesfarm.com/k.html
Good Luck!

AfKaP said...

Yeah, I know - but then again I hate all my other ideas for the corners too!

ChrisB said...

I love that Dusky pink colour but I'm not too sure, it would have to be very subtle so as not to detract from the main design as you suggest knots/rosebuds might be the answer. I'm not much help and would need to see a sample to see how it looked!