Tuesday 1 May 2007

The Making of an Art Car

Jan Elftmann came to our art class today and showed us how to make an art car. Here is her art car - she has glued an abundance of interesting objects onto it.





Here is Jan in front of her car (note the students working in the background.)



Those Students helped me paint my car. Here they are hard at work on the sides.



Of course even after several hours of work we did not finish - so I am now the proud owner of a half-finished art car.

The students worked on the sides which look like this:

I worked on the hood and although I only finished roughly half of it, I am confident I'll be able to knock out the rest pretty quickly.

Here are two images that are now on the hood:




Here is the car in a long shot so you can see the hood and sides:



The hood is based on the works of Edward Gorey (better known as the guy who desifned the title sequence for the mystery series on public television. The bats on the side are my own design.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Gorey!
Drive it down to Houston on May 12th, you can parade with the other cars.

ChrisB said...

wow I must get my eldest grandson to look at these, although maybe I shouldn't give him ideas. I bet the students had such fun doing this project. How to get noticed!!

AfKaP said...

Min- I'm not sure it would make it that far, but I'll consider putting it in the Minneapolis Art car parade. It will look a bit naked next to most of them.

Chrisb - please do - we artists need to encourage each other!! I was thinking scorpions might be cool for my next car!!

Anonymous said...

I actually like it!!!!

Beccy said...

I love it, unfortunately my car is my husbands company car (he has a motorbike) so we wouldn't be able to decorate it.

Anonymous said...

Is this a family thing? Mindy's van is haunted, and your car actually LOOKS haunted!!

And I think that's soooo cooool!!

Please, please, please come to Houston!

ThatGreenyFlower said...

An Edward Goreymobile! I am IN LOVE!