Saturday 26 May 2007

Afternoon at Church

Some time back my sister Mindy went on an adventure to photograph a church way off in the boondocks. It was a spooky situation and she ended up leaving before she got a chance to take any pictures. I promised her if I came to visit, that we would find a time to get back there and actually take some photos. This is the bridge we used to get out of the museum district on our way to Waller.



Since it is Memorial day weekend, the traffic was thick. I find this a pleasing shot of Houston traffic.



This screams American self-preoccupation to me.



Our goal was a really spooky Baptist Church out in the country. This is the place.



It was a really spooky place behind a very junky yard that had strange things to be seen. Look at this doll and it's weird placement.



They had cows just wandering around right in their front yard.



Nearby there was a house with metal sculptures in the front yard.



Here is a closer view of some of them.



Most of the houses had a dog on the front porch.



There was a pretty neat concrete companynot too far away. Here are a few shots of it (even though it was closed.



I'd love almost any of these things except the statue of liberty for our yard!



There were a lot of lions.



How about these?



Or these?



Lions in the grass, alas!



You can't tell, but this is a gigantic shovel. 15 or 20 feet tall.



Finally we met Don at Rita's lebanese cafe for dinner. Gosh it was good food! This is Rita's husband George taking care of business.

2 comments:

ChrisB said...

Embee would love one of those lions ( his birth sign is Leo) and we have an insignificant little lion, that someone gave him years ago, sitting on top of our back wall where he cemented it on. At the time I was not too happy but I confess I hardly notice it now.

AfKaP said...

Yes, I've always wanted lions in front of my door on either side of the entrance. There was a fraternity in Gainesville, Florida, that had them and I always adored them as a child. They would go through many different colors and decorations as the warring factions painted and repainted them to show their loyalties, but I was quite fascinated by them