Sunday 1 April 2007

Fun Monday From ChrisB

This Blog Topic brought to you by Chris B

Our assignment is to go into our closets and look for a piece of vintage clothing and tell the story of its meaning to us. I knew right away what I wanted to write about (Be very glad I did not get out the old belly dance costume with the coin belt made of bottle caps!!) No there was no doubt in my mind the most important item of clothing I have ever had is something that I was inseparable from for many years - my US Army Flack jacket. This jacket is so special to me, because it was given to me by the kindest, sweetest man – a Viet Nam vet who went to the same college as I. I don’t know if I should mention his name or not, but of course the last name is emblazoned across the front of the jacket. Brock Brady had the most winning smile and when I admired his jacket one day, he simply took it off his back and gave it to me. I was such a naïve and foolish young thing in those days – I could not tell if he was romantically interested in me or just a kind and gentle soul, but I now feel I must have been the most narcissistic and selfish person imaginable – I was so lost and insecure in those days. I could hardly see beyond my own nose and here was someone who had been to Viet Nam, who had seen the horrors of war and yet remained a generous and gentle person full of experience and reserve and who had touched me deeply with his gift.

Of course I had to do a web search to see what he might be doing now. Another friend from school is always telling me that people we know have passed on (I think he makes these things up to bother me) and I seemed to remember Jack had included Brock on one of those missing lists, but no, I discovered through a relatively simple google search that he is a renowned teacher of English as a Second Language a prestigeous institution, a Peace Corps volunteer returned from a slough of exotic places and a prize winning academic advisor. Of course, none of this surprises me in the least. There was a picture on one of the web sites and he still has the same charming and winning smile. I’ll never forget the poetry that he used to write – one poem in particular about a woman that he had met. He described his experience with her like a bowl of soup – in which all the pepper had settled to the bottom of the bowl. I am so glad that he is doing so well! So here I am these many years later in my favorite piece of clothing!



He will never know how much I learned about generosity and kindness from him. He gave me a real boost at a time when I was in great need. I think after the Easter break I may send him some anonymous flowers – it could never mean as much as the gift of his jacket, but perhaps it will evoke that wonderful, winning smile and give him just a taste of the appreciation that I felt that day so long ago.

16 comments:

Molly said...

Hello, thank you for the gentle and heart-warming story about the man and how you got the Flack jacket.

I bet that the belly dance costume is fantastic. Maybe you can show the costume with the belt made out of bottle caps for another entry.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story!! And a lovely tribute to a lovely man.

Beccy said...

What a great post, how nice to find out how your benefactor is doing now.

I'd like to hear about the old belly dance costume with the coin belt made of bottle caps though.

ChrisB said...

That is a wonderful story and such a lovely tribute to your friend. The internet is marvellous I'm sure he would love to know the influence he had and that you still have the jacket.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful keepsake. If you ever find him, thank him for his service to our country for me.

Anvilcloud said...

Maybe the flowers shouldn't be anonymous? He'd probably be delighted to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

what a lovely post - a jacket with a real story behind it. enidd thinks sending those flowers would be such a cool thing to do, too.

Sam said...

who knew that this week's fun monday would inspire such a moving story. FUnnily enough - when I did mine I mentioned an old boyfriend and suddenly found myself trying to google him for news. He has a very comon name so I couldn't really find much except comments on a few band and music forums in my old home town which I guess must have been him.

Pamela said...

a great story to go with your picture!!!!

And I'm happy that he was successful.

AfKaP said...

mjd - well maybe I'll pull out the belly dance costume later this week - It is pretty pathetic!

Stephanie - Thank you so much - He is a wonderful person!

Beccy - Yes, I was thrilled and also a little embarrassed that he had been so successful and I so mediocre in my life choices! - hmm the coin belt - yeah - I knew I should not have mentioned it!

ChrisB - You deserve the credit for a great topic!

Swampwitch - will do!!

AfKaP said...

Anvilcloud - I think it would have more impact if the flowers are anonymous - it might seem like something more mystrious and important

Enidd - yes - I need to figure out how to find out if he is around his office (as opposed to traveling in Lagos or wherever else.

Sam - I'm sorry you can't find your influential person. I don't know if you can limit your search geographically (or whether that would help) but maybe you can locate someone with a less common name who is a close freind of that person and do an enquiry.

Pamela - Thanks so much. Yes - it is nice when one is reminded of those early formative experiences.

Anonymous said...

Wendeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyy, you've GOT to tell him what his gesture meant to you! Try to imagine how you'd feel if you had extended some random act of kindness to someone that long ago, they had remembered it forever, and they later found you to let YOU know! THAT would be WONDERFUL!

Sure, send him some mysterious anonymous flowers; that can be independent of contacting him. Don't let any feelings of perceived mediocrity stop you! Don't compare yourself to his accomplishments. You've got your own talents/giftings/accomplishments and that's enough, blog friend :).

Ummmm, sorry...more than two cents, I guess. It's just such a lovely story I couldn't help myself.

Anonymous said...

Don't send a flower anonymously - SEND HIM A PERSONAL LETTER to tell him how much the coat meant to you!!!!

Great story.

Steffi said...

Wow...what for a great story and nice picture.Why you will send flowers anonymus?Maybe he will hear from you again!

Thank you very much for your nice german words in my blog!Your german is really fantastic!Where you learnt it?

Anonymous said...

Gooooood job. Nice writing. You should...like...enter a contest or something.

AfKaP said...

I ... like.. so ... will or whatever...