Monday 9 April 2007

Embarrassing Clothing FUN MONDAY

This Blog Topic brought to you by Amy W at A Family Story



I can not believe I am actually posting this, but it just shows that I have no shame. Here is the story:

Back when I was young and more attractive (and in College) I took a physical education class in Danse Orientale otherwise known as Belly Dance. I went to an expensive University/College and while others were from wealthy families, I was painfully aware of the ground beef and spaghetti dinners my family was enduring back home in order to send me to that fine institution. So when everyone else was buying their costumes, I decided to make mine. I still have that double skirted costume and worse, I still have the money belt that I made out of squashed cola bottle caps. When I mentioned this previously, I got several requests to see it so... careful what you ask for - you might actually get it, Without further ado, then, here it is:


:
...And yes, the costume is still in good shape and I mostly fit into it still (sort of - more or less - although certainly not as well as I used to - where did all those extra bulges and lumps come from? ) Unfortunately I have never been able to figure out how to use the timer on my camera, so I have had to use a mirror for this photo and I have not had especially good success with this time around, but honestly, I just don't feel like getting dressed up all over again - so here is a very fuzzy picture of me in "the costume". (Feel free to laugh as much as you like!! I am!) If there were a prize for this topic I am sure I would win for most embarrassing!)



Here is another version (I cut the head off when I took this photo - so I took a head off of another picture and crafted the two together. Maybe it works a bit better.)

15 comments:

Molly said...

Oh, the belly dance outfit with bottle caps, we did ask for this!!! I think that it is a cool costume. The fuzziness of picture adds to the mystery. If there were a prize for the most interesting, you would surely win. I am not sure that you would win the prize for the most embarrassing.

ChrisB said...

I think that's a great costume and it's not embarrassing to to be inventive, cola bottle tops recycled what could be better. Anyone can go and buy and you look far more authentic than the belly dancer I saw in Morocco and I'm not just saying this I mean it. mjd is right when she says the fuzziness adds to the mystery.

Anvilcloud said...

A very enterprising belt for a very interesting hobby.

Bethany said...

Fabulous!

AfKaP said...

mjd and ChrisB - Thanks so much - yes I think the haziness of bad focus does add an air of mystery as well as cover a few pounds - and I was not about to go outside where there would be sufficient light for the photo - but also the possibility of prying eyes.

Of course my neighbor just knocked on the door and I still have dark eyeliner all over my eyes and dark red lipstick on (but am also wearing a sweatshirt full of oil paint - I wonder what she thought!!

Anonymous said...

Actually - I think you were VERY creative!!!! So - do you still belly dance?

AfKaP said...

Bethany and Anvilcoud - your encouragement is much appreciated

Karmyn - Yes I actually do still dance, although I haven't had much time for it lately. I have some much newer costumes that I like better - although the colors of the old skirts are still pleasing and I sometimes wear them with my real coin belt!

Anonymous said...

How creative are you? I am so envious of those who can come up with wonderful creations like this. Awesome! Also, you are creative with your "photoshopping" skills. A very exotic post.

Anonymous said...

I think I finally got rid of my shiney purple "I dream of Jeanie" pants...but I do remember a couple of summers of us camel walking around the house all day.
I'm glad you still have yours.

AfKaP said...

SwampWitch - I'm still disppointed you didn't show us your hat! I am honored by your praise, however and I think you are a clever and inventive person (so I'm doubly honored)!

Min- Yeah, I remember those days - what fun! - I hope we can have some more of those soon. These are different pants (Ebay is a wonderful thing!! - no sewing!)

Beccy said...

You are so brave to post those pictures. I'm impressed with the belt you made.

AfKaP said...

Beccy -Perhaps brave is another word for stupid - but for a woman who could be a grandmother now (but isn't) I should be grateful for a happy, calm life and not worry too much about the other stuff!

Steffi said...

You are very creative.Great pictures!

Amy W said...

I think it's a really cool costume!

AfKaP said...

Thanks so much, Amy, I appreciate all the encouragement I can get!