Sunday 18 March 2007

Exasperation

Here is a new version of the painting I posted yesterday (same post as this). I'm still not crazy about it, but it is better than yesterday at least. The turban no longer looks like a sombrero and so I don't feel like I'm looking at a painting of Pancho Villa.



I'm still going to need to rework the sleeve and maybe the pants - but I don't want to get too involved in them or it will become realistic. We have a critique on Monday, so it will be interesting to hear what Clea (my teacher) and the class have to say. I may have to adjust the angle of the building a bit. I don't like the way it rises, although in terms of composition I would prefer the line not be parallel to the bottom of the picture.



(Post from yesterday) This is not improving - I hate the pants, I keep trying to get the colors down to indicate the dust of war, but ...! I know I don't want to paint realistically, yet that is all I seem to be able to do and when I try not to (like here) I get a bad version of paint by numbers! Oh well, just keep on working on it, I guess! Eventually it will come!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It scares me....but it's supposed to isn't it?

AfKaP said...

Jenny,

I gues it depends on whether it is the subject, the topic or the rendition that scares you!!

Anonymous said...

I do like it better! I didn't think I would, but you're right about it becoming more realistic...don't lose that new style that I like so much. The dustiness works.