Sunday 2 June 2013

Morning in Weimar

Of course the first thing one usually does in a new city is to look around. Here are a few pictures I took while walking around.  (I had spent a good part of the morning trying to figure out my  cash flow problems, but when I finally got started things were great.

I'll start with some pictures of the breakfast room and bar. The Pension claims to have a "Restaurant" but I think that is just for the breakfast. As far as I can tell, at night they only serve liquids.

The decor is however nice.  It was (and still is) the meeting place for soccer fans of the Carl Zeiss soccer team. (You can see the name above the door. I eat at the table in the back there.


Here is the other side of the room.

The bar is in front and is separate .


It was a bit rainy that first day, so none of these are fantastic pictures, but they do give the flavor of the city (and of course it has rained the whole time I have been here, so they will all look that way!)

I pass by here every morning when I head into the city.


Another problem I had initially (in fact the evening I arrived) was that I had left my computer connector in Lichtenfels, so I couldn't plug in to recharge my battery. That first evening I spent more than an hour in the Elektrogeschäft making sure I got the right kind of connector. Luckily it all worked out. There is a huge mall in Weimar called Atrium. 



(I had to laugh - my concierge told me carefully the shop I was looking for was called SA=TOR=EN (over and over). Of course when I got there it was actually called Saturn. The shopping center reminds me a little of those places in Las Vegas (and Japan) that try to look like an exotic place or time.  This one seems to be mildly Italian themed.


I'm not sure you can see it in this picture, but there are Venus staues up in the gallery (along with mannequins in Masks and costumes like for the Venice festival.)



Here are some shots of unidentified places on my first trip through town.


Of course this is the famous statue of Goethe and Schiller in front of the theater. People line up to get to have their pictures taken with these famous guys.





I love this Grandmother figure in front of the restaurant. I guess they have food that is like home cooking.




No comments: