Sunday 9 August 2009

On the Way to the Airport

I decided to spend the morning checking out the neighborhood in Hachioji before I would have to board the plane. They were preparing for a festival that evening and so I took a look at the preparations. People were dressed in their holiday clothes and walking around in anticipation of the festivities.



The Matsuri or portable shrines had their teams assembling and traditional music was being played - drums and flute. It was lovely. I stopped to listen to this group for a while.





The floats were intricately carved and beautiful to behold.



There were many different ones lined up on side roads - there would be a big parade later in the day, but of course I would be on my way to Okinawa before they would start the festival.



Of course there were also all kind of festive activities and foods. There were the catch your own gold fish ponds, and any number of Japanese food treats from Okonomiyaki to Octopus balls. These folded paper figures always amaze me.



And if you like bananas, then this is the place for you!



The colors here are intoxicating.



I popped into a local store and ran into this interesting pet.



Here is a slightly closer look.



Somehow I just can't see snuggling with my very own rhinoceros beetle. This must be a popular pastime though, because I have seen at least two whole sections of stores dedicated to taking care of these pets. (Cages, treats, furniture, wood stumps for them etc.)

All too soon it was time to go back to the hotel, grab my suitcase and to head to the airport. On the train, I saw this woman who was wearing a beautiful shirt with pleated ruffles. (I took a secret picture, because I wanted to preserve the memory of this amazing blouse.)



Here is a detail of the shirt. Maybe its "Pleats Please" done by Issey Miyake. It is much more fetching than my picture can portray.

No comments: