Tuesday 18 August 2009

Expoland Part 2 (of 4) The Orchids


After the Okinawan Village, I headed over to one of the botanical gardens and then the orchid house.


There were gorgeous garden sites everywhere combining native plants and the landscape.



Less "natural" but still interesting were these animal figures sprinkled throughout the grounds.



This was hte native plants section.




There were all kinds of butterflies and moths around.






I ended p at the Dream Center which is a large orchid house.


There are numerous buildings and gardens within the grounds. The entry has this court yard of croatans.



There are a bunch of green houses each devoted to a family of orchids, starting with phalaenopsis.




I have no idea what kinds of orchids any of these are. I simply took pictures of anything that looked pretty.


I couldn't take pictures of all of them, though!


The one below is a Belamcanda (Blackberry Lily).



I like the composition of this shot.




I don't know what this fruit is, but it turns yellow orange.


I believe this was some kind of South American fruit - these last plants were found in the Exotic Fruit Greenhouse.




This is a cocoa bean.


Those little mushrooms are lamps.


I thought this was an interesting plant.


In the base of the tower there was a fish tank with this eel.



If you wanted to pay extra you could stand on one of these lotus pads.

Another pretty flower found near the pitcher plants.


Here is a view of one of the greenhouse buildings.


This is a couple of views from the twisty tower.



The last part of this trip will be in the next blog and will cover the marine life and exhibits.

No comments: