Thursday 10 September 2009

Stitches Midwest 2009

Some Images of Stitches Midwest. Here are the eager students awaiting the keynote address.


Our speaker was Jane Slicer-Smith - talking about her drape style designs.


The conference has an Australian theme this year and focus was on the colours of Australia.


Jane uses many different approaches to knitting from modular to intarsia.


Here a couple more designs.




Her styles are really quite flattering because they are well-tailored.


I actually one a door prize copy of the book because I knew the time difference between here and Australia. I was off by one hour - because they were thinking Sydney and I had lived in West Australia. That was pretty exciting!



I showed the book to my seat mate and of course she got photographed by the Professional reading (my ) book. I imagine she'll get posted on the web site! (laugh) (That's okay - I get to keep the book!)

This drop stitch piece was very nice.


Here is the green that will always remind me of Australia:


This was based on an English landscape.


This one used a pattern in one direction that was used at a 90 degree angle in another piece. (The sweater on the mannequin below left.)


These were really quite impressive visually.


Jane also designed some hats to go along with some of her pieces.


After the fashion show, we had lunch - these were my table mates.


The models circulated wearing the fashions.


Some were set up in the back of the hall. This allowed for closer inspection by the audience members.


This is a sculpture outside of the hotel.


I had my first class - "Tips and Tricks with Lily Chin". She wants approval of any photos of her, so I can't put anything up right now. She taught a fun class and it was packed with information - some old and some new. Here is a pictures of Lily from A Walden knits event from waldenknits.blogspot.com .


After class there was the first day of the market. Here Rick Mondragon answers questions for curious attendees.


Here are some of the original fashions set up in the market.

The market was much smaller than in previous years, but of course I still found something to purchase! (grin!) (Some light blue alpaca for a lace shawl I will do on a KnitAlong on line.)


No comments: