Tuesday 29 September 2009

Really Nice People!


While waiting for a half hour to elapse before a banquet I happened upon a little booth called Esther's Place. Esther it turned out was a sheep, but her human companions had a little fiber shop and were offering lessons on felting. Despite my being a bit on the grumpy side a charismatic young woman managed to pull me over to the felting table where various people were busy stabbing little flat circles of wool with needles. Some were making pumpkins, others apples ostensibly as pins that one could wear for holiday festivity. I was handed a clump of orange felt and shown how to proceed. Natasha was very encouraging, but being an ornery individual, I refused to do a pumpkin and instead set to work on a tiny little three dimensional project:


I refused to give my creature eyes or whiskers or even stripes, but was very impressed by the young woman's good nature despite my irascible fixation on the form alone. The time for waiting had passed and I was due at the banquet so I headed off with my unfinished creature in my pocket.

The next day I went back for a few touch ups and got to meet Natasha's mother, Donna. What delightful people they both are! We traded stories about moving to the country and trying to become accepted by our neighbors. We talked about community building, about chickens, about fiber art and about the 60s (yeah, eventually it had to get around to the "good old days"!) What an inspiring person to chat with! I left feeling really good about people and the world. If you happen to be near Big Rock Illinois stop in at Esther's Place. They give classes, sell fibery things and even offer homey space for over night stays and retreats. The website is www.esthersplace fibers.com



If you are ever in the neighborhood stop in and say Hi and tell Donna and Natasha hello for me!

No comments: