Wednesday 27 October 2010

Political Rally

I'm no stranger to the political rally, but today I experienced the most fun one I've ever been to.
Let me start at the beginning. Maybe you remember these guys.


Yup, that's Sha Na Na, the group that recreated the fifties for the seventies. Believe it or not, they actually played Woodstock (just before Hendrix!) Well what could be more fun than a political rally with one of the original members - Jon (Bowser) Bauman?


Mr Bauman came out to Minnesota to help Tarryl Clark raise money to replace Michelle Bachmann in Washington. Bowser sang and joined Bobby Vee on "stage" to support Ms. Clark's efforts.


No, that's not Bobby, it's his son Jeff, but you can sure see the family resemblance!

My friend Jim Read helped organize the fundraiser. Here he is with candidate Tarryl Clark at the Fisher's Club in Avon.


Here is Tommy Vee's bass. I really like this image - I like the vibrant colors, the composition and the subject matter.


Tarryl gave a rousing speech about what she hoped to do in Washington.


and Jim encouraged us to get out the vote, before introducing the bands.

The band set up in the front of Fisher's Club in Avon.


Jeff played drums and look who else was here.


Yes that's him!

He still has that gorgeous smile! Bobby Vee came out and sang a lot of his great hits, including Rubber Ball, Take Good Care of My Baby and The Night has a Thousand Eyes.


Here Jeff plays his brother's bass with his brushes.


Then it was time for the piece de la resistance: Bowser. We were entertained in fine Bowser tradition, but also got to hear some classical piano - some lovely and difficult Chopin pieces. Mr Bauman, it turns out, had studied at Julliard and was a bit of a child prodigy.


Bowser also sang the songs we remember him for, music from Grease and his version of Blue Moon and Hand Jive.


Then we got some more wonderful music from Bobby Vee before the big finale.


It all ended (as it always did on the Sha Na Na show) with Goodnight Sweetheart. My father was such a fan of Bowser. It brought me a strong sentimental feeling to hear and to meet Mr. Bauman as if somehow I could return for a moment to those happy days of yore and laugh with my father at the posturing and silliness of a more innocent age.

No comments: