Wednesday 20 October 2010

Night at a Romanian Restaurant

In the evening decided to try genuine Romanian food. The hotel clerk recommended an authentic restaurant and it was back to the basement of Sora to try some Romanian food.


On the plane, my seat mate had recommended several dishes (none of which I recognized on the menu, so I ended up ordering the Lamb de miel.  It probably wasn't the most traditional meal, but it was very good.


The restaurant decor was very rustic and countrified.


The chairs were painted in bright colors and old items hung on the walls.


I ordered Tuica, because this is the time of year to drink it. It is a very strong plum brandy that is sweet and burns when it goes down.


My lamb came with mashed potatoes and herbs.  For desert I ordered Papansi, a kind of cheesy donut served with sour cream and a fruit compote.  Mine came with Preselbeeren - maybe those are like cranberries, but sweet.


Just as I was finishing some musicians arrived, so I stayed a little bit longer to hear some Romanian folk music.


The waitresses wore this version of the traditinal Romanian costume. There are embroidered bands on the sleeves that can not be seen in the picture.


The singer had a lovely black apron with lace on it.


The group was the singer, a violin and a keyboard player. It was very cheerful and it seemed like there should be happy peasants dancing to go along with the music. There was definitely a Slavic feel to the music (or at least I should say it reminded me of the music that we heard at Czech festivals in Illinois - perhaps the Czech music had a Romanian flavor to it!)


On the way home I peeked in this wonderful Antique shop that has a gold plated Victrola in it. I so wish I could buy it!  It makes me think of the Gramophone in Magic Mountain that Hans Castorp takes control of. My picture is not so good, but there it is in the center of the shop.


St Michael's is all lit up at night. Here is a picture I took on the way home.


I know where to turn when I reach the University Library.


And here is the way I saw La Stuf Janis on my first night here:


I thought I should have a better picture of the breakfast buffet.


And here is a better picture of the club next door. It is very psychadelic- warm and inviting! A night shot and then...


a shot during the day.

I had to laugh at the little mileage marker in the doorway! It gives the number of kilometers to Woodstock!

Across the street is a very nice wall remnant. 


Next blog will show some pictures from the Central Cemetery.

No comments: