Sunday 9 September 2007

Update on Bridge Collapse

Yesteday we went to see "Jane Eyre" at the Guthrie Theater. The play was okay - but wildly popular and thus completely sold out for this preview performance. The actors did a great job, but I wasn't as satisfied with the writing. It is not a terribly dramatic piece in terms of what one can show on stage. They didn't burn down the Thornfield house on stage so most of the interesting action occurs as narrative - not a terribly effective dramatic technique for the stage in my opinion.

We also had the opportunity to look at what remains of the collapsed bridge. I dug through my old photo files and found this rather unclear shot of the bridge pre-collapse.



This is what we saw from the Guthrie theater last night. The city has removed all the cars and has been hauling the concrete out of the river, but it is still a striking and sadly impressive sight.



5 comments:

Nessa said...

Jane Eyre would be a bit difficult to do as a play. The whole story is very pent up.

The bridge is still shocking.

Are you game? Please play with me.

ChrisB said...

I guess it's going to take a long time to rebuild the bridge.

laurie said...

i walked across the stone arch bridge last week and caught a glimpse of the wreckage. even though i've seen a million images of it, seeing it in person made me stop and gasp.

i am not a religious person, but the sight made me want to do something symbolic--the sign of the cross, or something. it was an odd feeling. but i felt obliged to somehow pay my respects to those 13 dead.

Anonymous said...

I've read the book but don't remember much about it except the fire.
The bridge collapse is such a tragedy and makes me wonder about the safety of all our bridges. I can see these pics in my mind everytime I drive over a bridge.

Unknown said...

For the last month my husband has had to travel to the Cities to work and I've been worried every time. I can't even count all the times we had crossed that bridge and it still scares me. I'm so glad he gets to stay in Wisconsin for a while.