Sunday 23 September 2007

Renaissance Dreaming

A few weeks ago I engaged in an impulse buy that I could not resist. I'm not sure why this called to me so strongly, but it did and I yielded to temptation.



Sorry the image is so blurry. I had not quite learned how to do timer images when I took that shot. The main thing is that i want you to be able to see the raven.

It turns out the raven is an important animal in the tlingit creation myth (and although I believe this custom
made cloak is aiming at a Celtic image, it is surprising how similar the Northeastern Indian image is to the Celtic one.)



The raven is responsible for bringing light in the form of the sun and the moon to the world (after these bodies had been hidden away by a mean old man). I love the connection to light and creativity and although it is not an animal I had associated with a totem for myself (skunk, wolf and spider had been the animals I thought myself closest to) there is something about this image that truly speaks to me.)

...So.... when my husband and I discussed getting ourselves anniversary gifts of a less expensive version of Renaissance festival boots by ordering through a boot maker we had heard of on line. I started thinking about what style of boots I might want. I discovered these at a website and I absolutely love them - but thought perhaps I should design some of my own.



So this is what I came up with.



What do you think?

5 comments:

Nessa said...

I love your boots. On my mother's side (we descend from Austrian Celts) Ravens help you speak with spirits and relatives who have passed. My mother just recently got me a Raven.

Pamela said...

lovely design for your boots. clever, too.

both the cloak and boots are easy on the eye.

AfKaP said...

Thanks, Nessa, sprichst du Deutsch?

Pamela, Thaks - I wonder if it wouldn't be too difficult to recreate in leather and cost prohibitive!

Nessa said...

Ja, ich kann baurin Deutsch sprechen. Ich bin nicht sehr gut mit schreiben.

Nessa said...

Sadly, my mother never spoken German with us at home and our relatives only visit rarely. I learned German playing with the farm boys and my German has not grown up much.

When I'm there, I sound like I've stepped right out of the alps.