Monday 3 September 2007

The Frog Days of Summer



Well, Summer is officially at an end. Today marks the blooming of the last day lily.



There is a feeling of Fall in the air. I'm not sure what it is - today is hot and the mercury will climb to over 90 degrees - but there is a certain color and feel to the air that says that winter is just beyond the horizon. The light is more golden and we lose the sun quite a bit earlier. The trees are acquiring a slight tinge of yellow. The October days are coming.



There is not much to photograph in the garden any more. I did see this little guy in among the window box plants on the deck.



He obliged me with several poses. Perhaps he knows that I will cherish the memory of small animals in just a few short months - when there is snow on the ground and the only movements will be the brown leaves as the wind scuttles them across the path.



(Yes, there are squirrels - there are always squirrels - maybe that's a good thing?)

I mourn for the loss of green. There will not be frogs, nor turtles, nor leaves on the trees. I will have to learn to love brown and grey again. We will have six months of stark white, mottled brown leaves and the grey of branches and twigs. It is a subtle not completely colorless environment, but it is a narrow palette of stark white vistas and cold blue skies and bare branches. This is a hard thing for someone from the jungles of the Southeast, so I store up my memories and concentrate on what I see in the Fall. For these precious days, I determinedly and heartily joy in the green.

13 comments:

Em said...

Thanks for visiting my blog...that led me to you! What a fun blog you have! You are right..summer is ending...but I do love the fall.

And I loved your writing on Geek vs. Nerd. I'm perhaps a touch of both! LOL

I'm glad I found you...I'll be back!

ChrisB said...

You got some really good photos of the frog. We are having a really warm spell at the moment but it feels quite autumnal and it was dark around 8pm last night worst luck. I like autumn but I really don't like the winter as I find it so depressing and apart from my week in San Fransisco over thanks giving I don't have any sunny hols booked this year worst luck.

AfKaP said...

Thanks, Em, I found you through Wizened Wizard and enjoyed your blog too!

ChrsiB - I worked hard for those photos and that frog worked just about as hard to get away from me. Luckily I was quicker!! Minnesota is sunny which makes it more pleasant than most of England in a way - but it is also SO much colder and for much longer!!

Anonymous said...

Those are some seriously awesome pictures you took. Great job! How are you liking your new camera?

Pamela said...

NOT FAIR>
I got a whole bag full of tadpoles from a lady for our pond. Not a frog one out of the bunch--- they must have eaten each other.

Yours are loverly.
are you sure it's your last lily???

Our weatherman said it would be 48 deg tonight. I think she lied.

Nessa said...

I love the froggy pictures.

The maples were already turning in the mountains this past weekend.

AfKaP said...

Nikki - Thanks - speaking of awesome - your new jewelry rocks!

Pamela- Alas, it is indeed the last one. There are no other buds to be found ont he 90 plus day lilies on my property. I was hoping today it might still hold on a bit - but it has been too hot. Our first freeze date is Sept 15 and rarely has the cold weather held off much after the expected date (despite my eternal optimism every single year - and I AM optimistic again this year that it will come later!!) Sorry about the tadpoles!

Nib - I don't want to hear that!! GREEN! GREEN!

captain corky said...

That frog reminds me of my little guy. :) I love this time of year. I have a thing for cool sad September nights.

Beccy said...

I love your pictures, I can't believe you'll have snow in a few months, all we have to look forward to is rain!

Anonymous said...

im odd i guess i like fall;) i love spring but i really don't care for summer... i guess the heat gets to me.. those were some amazing photos

mindy said...

aahhh... that frog had a cute butt.
:) haha!!

Guilty Secret said...

What beautiful photos :)

neroli said...

I miss living in Iowa, and hearing those little peepers.
I miss the lilies when their time is over also...and your picture reminds me of how I can never decide if the bud, the flower, or the seed-pod is the most lovely stage of the plant...