Saturday 8 March 2008

Pensieve's Challenge


(crocuses courtesy of the bbc.com website)


Robin at Pensieve had a (now elapsed) challenge to finish the lines of her limericks and then write one of our own.

Fred, a green leprechaun
In Spring, flew a kite until dawn.
On Easter, so windy,
His shamrock kite got all bendy.
_________________________________

"Fly a kite!" you might want to shout.
When Poetic License I've asked you to tout.
Or perhaps, you'll agree
And you'll write two or three--
_____________________________________


Here are my responses

In Spring a wee leprechaun
flew his kite, a shamrock, 'til dawn.
One Easter, so windy,
His kite got so bendy.
it looked like a little green prawn

(The alternate line to that last one using her last recommended word "irish" is:

it looked like a green Irish prawn.
_________________________________


"Fly a kite!" you might want to shout.
When Poetic License I've asked you to tout.
Or perhaps, you'll agree
And you'll write two or three--
Or write none and sit home and pout
_____________________________________

She also challenged us to write our own limerick, but she is an amazing Eirophile and gave us a bunch of words that all shout to the world IRELAND. (Yes, I know why!) Well I have just finished racking my brain to do IRELAND in the poems above and I am tired of Leprechauns, Guiness and kites, so I wanted to have a different tone - not all of us live in a green world of rainbows and pots of gold.


As the season of lent has gone by
The talk is of blossoms and sky
Alas, the Spring crocus
Will hit Minnesota's
Gardens May, June .... or July.



(Actual Spring flowers in Minnesota from June (Smartstepfamilies.blogspot.com))

7 comments:

Pamela said...

I tried to comment this morning but blogger kept kicking me to the curb.

...

These are great.

Anonymous said...

I'm finally posting all the last lines and extra limericks that were written, and YOU GO, GIIIIIIRL!! You're quite the poet...guess it runs in the family.

Nice departure from the "guidelines"...your pictures are bonus to your poems (thanks for participating with such great tenacity).

:) I'm linking your post directly....

AfKaP said...

Pamela - Thanks - I know smetimes blogger is a little touchy, but in general I like it and you can't beat the price!

Robin - Thanks. Yor writing is so good! I just tinker here and there.

laurie said...

your crocus photo briefly made my heart leap--it must be so much warmer in purpleworms minnesota than laurie minnesota! and then i saw your credit line.

dang.

spring.

is. far. off.

AfKaP said...

Laurie - The poem says May, June or July (grin)! Wake up and smell the ...er... snow!

Anonymous said...

I was here this morning too...I know you don't believe that, but...okay.
Yes, I read the last line.

Anonymous said...

I like how you incorporated the spring flowers in there. And yeah to the prawn!