Monday 31 March 2008

Fun Monday: True Words from the Master

This week Robyn has given us this challenge for Fun Monday:

{P}lease share words that inspire and motivate you--brief or bloviatory, silly or serious, from great world leaders to last night's Comedy Central...from a Hallmark greeting card to your favorite book. Choose one, choose many; let the quotes stand on their own or...

Well there is no greater carpenter of words than Oscar Wilde. Here are a few of his most memorable quotes:

A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it.

Ah, well, then I suppose I shall have to die beyond my means.



An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all.

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.

Finally,

A man who does not think for himself does not think at all.

(That goes for women too!)

15 comments:

Jo Beaufoix said...

Oh these are good. Oscar Wilde was an amazing man. I especially love the last three.

ChrisB said...

Great quotes I nearly put in a couple of Oscar Wilde ones myself~ glad I didn't now!

Hootin Anni said...

I like this one you shared: "A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."

AfKaP said...

Jo, There are so many more - I tried to go with some of the less well known ones.

ChrisB - The more the merrier! I'm sorry you didn't!!

Hooyin' anni - Yes, that one seems very serious and true!

Anonymous said...

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.

Great quote!

Anonymous said...

Excellent man to have quoted. Good post and thanks for sharing!

Sayre said...

Oscar Wilde is great! I loved these.

Alison said...

those are great. I love the enemies one..so true..and I love to annoy people.

AfKaP said...

I had some other comments from Kitten and other people that seem to have disappeared. I don't know what is going onwith blogger right now!

Nikki, - Yes some times kindness is the best revenge!

Thanks nekkid Lizard Lady (Gosh I hope people don't dress their lizards!

I appreciate your visit Sayre!

Alison - he said so many funny and wise things!!

AfKaP said...

Joy T
(http://www.blogger.com/profile/02243256440092139917)

- said Yes! "Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much" LOL love it!

AfKaP said...

Kitten (http://www.blogger.com/profile/18049382336915982813)

said:

Very good. I really like the last 2. Matter fact, I used the next to last one my self.

AfKaP said...

Stephanie of Mama Drama said:
(http://blogs.chron.com/mamadrama/)

I LOVE OSCAR WILDE!!

I kissed his grave in Paris!

That's it! I don't care what else is going on; the next time you come for a visit we MUST hang out!

AfKaP said...

IamwhoIam said:
(http://www.blogger.com/profile/12193628465030544663)

Ah a truth in them all

Pamela said...

I've got to work harder at forgiving. maybe if I used his humor to encourage me!!

Anonymous said...

So GLAD you joined in this week--these are keepable. Who am I kidding? I've loved every post I've seen!

Wilde was pretty wild at times, but spoke a truth that sometimes stung a bit...other times, simply encouraging.

Great list...I'm still blog hopping, trying to hit everybody...I don't think it'll ever end (but I'll be inspired ;) ).