Thursday 27 March 2008

A Curiosity

Here is something I have wondered about over the years. I am not originally from the frozen Northland, but in looking out my window longingly, this is not an uncommon sight.



The snow falls on the balustrade of our deck and leaves a scalloped pattern. The points are always directly above the posts. The valleys fall above the railing gaps. Sometimes the snow is an even cover of the handrail and sometimes it is decoratively wavy. I don't know why it settles in this cozy pattern and have often contemplated what could possibly make it choose just this geometric configuration. No doubt it has something to do with wind currents passing through the gaps, but I am always amazed when I see this lovely flourish and it is a reminder to be appreciative of the things I have and not continually waste my hours wishing for other times.

Those times will come and we appreciate them all the more for the wait. In the mean time we should drink in the sights of what we have around us. It is rarely as barren as we like to assume.

2 comments:

Secret Squirrel said...

HI,
Now i want to know why it does that...

I was thinking the same thing as you-the wind between the gaps

Beautiful

xox eve xox

Anonymous said...

Why does it do that? You should ask Mahatma Mama.