Saturday 25 June 2011

Veg(e)ing Out

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a......


Yup,... it's a giant 8 foot tall carrot! So let me try and explain this one!

Oh, yeah, this is SO what I spent hour after hour in college learning art for! Large vegetables! As you may remember, we are trying to start a Co-op in our little hamlet here in central rural Minnesota, so we are having a Cocktail/(Beg for Money) Affair on Monday preceding our opening on Friday. A few weeks ago I got persuaded to do invitations with little watercolor carrots on them, so I obediently provided 35 little carroty note cards. We were going for simple and elegant (and cheap of course).


So now, somehow I have become the go to girl for carrots. This week, I was asked to do a sign, as well as to paint and letter the carrotometer (above) that we will fill out as we get donations.

Alas, it has been too many years since that calligraphy class in the 70s. The sign is not as good as I had hoped. Here's what I ended up with (bad spacing and all.) I guess it gets the job done, but there is no hope for either simple or elegant there!



And while we are on the topic of food - here is a really good sashimi salad that I made last night. Now that is art! (wink!)

No comments: