Sunday 18 July 2010

Earthly Garden Delights

One of the advantages of having had such frequent rains is that the flowers are very happy this year.  Although I am at best a failed gardener. (Any beds that were already here I have managed to destroy, by not knowing what to keep and what to weed.) The attempts at smaller projects have been more successful. I planted this row of hostas, iris and day lilies along the west side of the drive.


Of course I failed to think about the fact that all the flowers are spiky and that I needed some other interest in the row, but still I have a veritable  firework display of flowers in mid to late july. (Maybe I'm secretly French and just have to have a Bastille day celebration.)


Each year I have to have at least one picture of a peeper in a flower.



This day lily looks quite nice with the wild yarrow that grows  nearby.


Unfortunately these lilies are the same color as our shed, but it does make a nice monochrome photo with shadows.



THis is the row of lilies and hostas along the west side of the drive way.  I've tried to break up the lines a bit by adding dusty miller and gazanias, but the predominant line is still up and spiky.


The day lilies seem to always face west and the dusty millers and gazanias are on the east side, so you can never see them all at the same time!



1 comment:

Pamela said...

I like that spiky look.

One of the problems I have with gardening is that nothing lasts forever.. and some lasts much shorter than that.

Always replacing flowers, trying new things... and hoping that maybe this spring will arrive with all our flowers peaking through the ground. Sigh.