Sunday 4 April 2010

Two Class(y) Days

Our next day was a class day again as we headed back on March 13th through the Sea of Japan and toward Korea. I was once again seasick and mostly unconscious for the first sea day and missed the class on I cord. On March 14 another at Sea day we had hit calmer waters and I was able to attend.  Lily's classes were amazing and informative and we always learned immense amounts and left at the end of the day with our heads reeling.

The fourteenth was also our next formal meal, so we got all dowdied up for our fancy dinner and dined in elegance and proper style.


Natalie as always looked glamorous and chic...


and I sure don't know who that pudgy woman is above who always shows up in my pictures, but that's a pretty shawl she borrowed from her roommate!  Mary Anne and her husband told us that they like to bicker and unfortunately my shot of them seems to prove them right. Mary Anne looked lovely that evening, but I didn't get a good shot of her smiling unfortunately.


Pam and Barbara had a good conversation.


Lois sat with AMY at what she called the children's table (because it was smaller than the other table and I guess it was for the young at heart).


Lily and Jill placed their order with our oh so elegant wait person Wipa, who was from Thailand. (I won't tell you Richard's theory about beautiful Thai servers.)


Wipa was very attentive and a good server (and just look at Jill's lovely shawl!)


Everyone looked so nice that evening (just as usual!)


Even the food was gorgeous!


I had to take this picture quickly as you can tell by the shadow, the wait person was standing by to extricate my little lobster from her shell immediately.



The singing was mostly fine. 


The choreography and the costumes however just didn't do it for me. Perhaps after spending the day looking at Lily's wonderful designs, it was hard for me to look at something less stellar, but somehow the stage costumes did not really seem to capture the period as I remembered it.


After dinner against my better impulses, I let Pam talk me into going to see another Ship Production.  The evening's theme was Motown and since we all love Motown, we just couldn't resist heading back to the lounge to see what they would do with it.


The best part was definitely the "Supremes" but the costumes were flimsy and nowhere near as lovely as the designer gowns that were worn by the real McCoys.


And I have no idea what the designers were thinking with the costumes above. (I probably don't want to know.)


I was most intrigued by the pants above that reminded me of the camouflage tarps in Vietnam that had the squiggly things in them to cause mottled shade and disguise airplanes.


Towards the end it got a bit disco-y (a sign in my mind that the organizer viewed the whole thing as  groovy retro and probably hadn't lived through the period him(?)self.)


The next day we were out of the sea of Japan and I was able to make it back to class. 


Lily as always kept us very busy and interested!




Dinner that night was amusing too and George our Headwaiter entertained us with his balancing feats.


You can't tell, but Janet was cracking up behind her hand. The forks were not attached to the toothpicks in any way



and yet they balanced beautifully.

No comments: