Sunday 29 June 2008

New Shoes

In preparation for my 4 month stay in Japan, I have started to try and assemble a lightweight easily packable wardrobe that will still be attractive and elegant if not simple. The simplicity should be in the appearance, because it certainly isn't in the assembly. I tend to wear rather casual clothing, but since I will represent my University and the United States, I know I will have to find some dressier outfits especially for the kabuki theater and for invitations out. I've been laying in a supply of simple elegant silk tops/jackets and black pants, but have really been stuck when it comes to shoes. I may not need to remind you that the Japanese take off their shoes a lot. For example, when you enter a house, a temple and even many restaurants shoes are removed. I learned this many years ago and went from wearing lace-up boots to pull on ankle boots, but sadly my clunky pull on Keens will not really do for the semi-casual evening out, so I have been casting my eyes about for a nice sweet little Maryjane that would be easy to take off and slip on and still would be simple and have that certain je ne sais quoi. Unfortunately with my wide and plantar fasciitis-ridden feet, this is turning out to be a much tougher task than I had anticipated. I ordered these but will have to return them because they are too tight across the toes.



Too bad. They were inexpensive and I liked the look!

I have been looking at these and they come in wide and are comfortable, but they cost 100$ - just a bit more than I want to spend for a casual shoe.



So I ordered these much cheaper ones instead and will get them in a week or so.



I also ordered these because they were so cute and I can wear them to the theater. These are comfortable so they are keepers.






Finally, you may remember all my anxiety and indecision about my self-designed Renaissance festival styled moccasins. Well, they have finally arrived. Below you will see my mock up and the real thing.

Now here are the real McCoys. Pardon the weird camera angles. It is hard to phtograph one's own shoes!!



I tried to get a few different angles.



The design is on the inside of the leg.



Here is the computer drawn mock-up.



I'm pretty happy with them. I think Paul at Sodhoppers did a real good job.



Unfortunately with all those buttons, they are not the kind of footwear I'll be taking to Japan!

4 comments:

Pamela said...

you should have bought the more expensive shoes. They look more comfortable --
(that's my biggest fear... going some place and my feet hurt.)

boots are just wow!

AfKaP said...

Hey, Pamela,

I actually tried both pair on at shoe stores and was going to go back to the store to buy the my shoes except I found them on line for less than half the price at the store (I like to support local companies, but just couldn't see paying 50$ more for them just to buy them here.) Both were equally comfortable, but the top ones just looked nicer to me.

Anonymous said...

Keens actually make a really cute mary jane. I don't know what I do without my Keen sandals.....

AfKaP said...

Yes, Nikki, I know and they cut into the top of my fat little feet!! Shoe hunting is a nightmare for me!