Saturday 28 June 2008

Highway Adventures

I'll probably post more about my mother's visit in Minnesota in another blog, but today I want to concentrate on the road trip taking her (back) to Arkansas to visit my aunt. It was a sunny trip with good weather, but one always sees a few interesting things on the roadside when one travels and I wanted to post a few pictures of some of those interesting subjects.

Of course one thing we could not avoid noticing was all the flooding in Iowa.



Sorry about the quality of the photo. This is one of my infamous "taken while driving" shots in which I take my "point and shoot" camera, hold it in the air and snap a picture, hoping all the while that the subject is still in the frame. (Below you'll see an example of one that is partially cut off for this very reason.)

On a rest stop we encountered this (probably?) Amish woman selling her baskets on the side of the road.



And of course I always look forward to this:



Even at the inexpensive cost of $5.00 a pound that must be a pretty pricey Morrel(l).

A little ways after Kansas City, we started to notice a bit of smoke on the horizon. Now because I live in rural Minnesota, I am quite accustomed to sights like this.



It is common practice to burn off one's garbage or yard waste behind the farmstead. As we got closer, it was clear, however, that this was no little prairie fire or trash burning situation. There was quite a bit of smoke and it wasn't on the prairie.



As we got closer we saw this.





And as we whizzed by, the Wendy-cam caught this.



It was a rather impressive sight.

1 comment:

Maggie May said...

wow what a collection of photos!
i don't understand that guy leaning so casually against the other car.
um..there is a BURNING CAR two feet from you mister.