Wednesday 25 June 2008

More on the Houston Trip

On the trip to Houston, we did not simply dwell on the worldly fun to be had, we also made it a point to make a family visit to the grave of my father. It was an ill-fated trip on the birthday of our father - we drove through Houston traffice to Conroe through the rain and even stopped at a florist for flowers for the grave. We should have known to turn back when the florist reported that she was out of flowers. We went on anyway and of course it started pouring as we approached the grave. I kept looking around to see if some weird guy was lumbering around in the background and "coming to get you, Barbara," but luckily we got out of there before anything untoward occurred. Here we are standing in front of the grave during a brief second of greater dryness.



Of course Houston is a City of urban clutter. Here was a billboard for shock absorbers that mildly intrigued me.



Urban spaces need parks and one that is causing a lot of buzz in Houston right now is Discovery Park.




It is a lovely green space in the downtown area with fountains for children to play in...



... and bars for the adults to do likewise.



And who wouldn't want to ride around the park in this little vehicle?



And then there was Starbucks who wouldn't make my iced decaf coffee because it offended their standards and didn't want pictures taken on their premises. They sold this water and that made me raise an eyebrow,



but I guess it doesn't say what the ethos is. It still strikes me as strange to see plastic bottles that clog up our landfills with such a name.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember standing in that rain. My dentist kept calling. That was a truly strange day.