Sunday 11 October 2009

Sights of Delaware

Our first day in Wilmington we were taken on a lovely driving tour of the city. I have already posted a few of the pictures I took of theless noteworthy sights, but I wanted to also include the more famous things we saw as well as a few incidental photos. This first picture is sculpture in front of some kind of governmental building (I think.)



We saw a new conservation/wetlands area. The water tower was painted to reflect the purpose.


We stopped and walked around the River Front.


It is lovely, clean and there were lost of people out walking their dogs and enjoying the sunshine.


These are my In-laws and spouse.

I like the colors of this next picture. It looks peaceful and warm.


Here are some of the older row houses that we saw on our drive.


The historic sailing ship was moored out behind a big fence so we couldn't get a very good view of it.



Old Swede's Church is the most historic landmark that we saw. didn't get a good picture, but this is from a website called "JustWestof Phildelphia."



This lovely young lady was also enjoying the sights.



We passed this synagogue. I really liked the colors.


We had a late lunch at the Charcoal Pit.



It was very 50s Americana with the checked floors and a juke box...



...and little table side boxes for choosing one's tunes. It reminded me of my very first date when we went to a malt shop and we had the same boxes at the table.



When we got home we did acorn patrol. The acorns in Chalfonte are huge and dangerous and need to be collected to keep people from slipping. As you can tell from the facial expressions it was a pleasant pastime.


Afterwards I needed a shower.


I another peaceful pastoral image.


We had breakfast the next day at Angel's. This was our server. She was such a sweet woman. She did a great job and was thoroughly pleasant. I even decided to go for the local delicacy scrapple a tripe, brains and cornmeal dish that is really very tasty.


Here's the outside of Angels from Delaware.Metromix.com :


It is always wonderful to discover a local non-chain place with great food and great service!



No comments: