Sunday 4 May 2008

Sunday Bird Walk

I was most excited about the warblers. We saw quite a few, but they are very jittery birds so I didn't get too many good shots of them on film. This is a black and white warbler - a bit on the blurry side, but clear enough to identify.




I think I was told this was a loon - its another really blurry shot - the sun was already headed down, but I thought I'd try anyway.



Here is Rose breasted Grosbeak.



And another shot of the same bird:



I'm sad that I couldn't get a better shot of this hawk(I tried and tried - but it was late dusk and there simply wasn't enough light:



This is a white throated sparrow that we saw while eating lunch.



This is a hooded Merganser and although it was really far away and we didn't get a good look, I took a picture anyway.



Another Ruby Crowned Kinglet



A nuthatch feeding its young in a tree hollow:



A yellow-bellied sapsucker:



Another chipping sparrow. They were quite common and easy prey for the camera!



There are four different birds in this picture. Can you see them?



Here is the image again with the birds circled in pink: You'll probably have to click on the image to see it larger, but you'll see a woodpecker, a nuthatch, a chickadee and a phoebe (I think).



Thanks for looking!!

2 comments:

ChrisB said...

The woodpecker is my favourite photo today.

Pamela said...

two summers ago we had one of those grosbeak at our sunflower seeder.
It was the talk of the audubon group for a few days... because they just don't come this far west... rare.

Oh it was a chipping sparrow. Now I see it.

I want to go birding with you.