Monday 19 May 2008

The Girl Can't Help it!

I lied! I can't help it! Look what showed up on the pole in our back yard. How could I not post that?



Not only that, but my all-time favorite Warbler also did a fly by and stopped to check out an orange slice that some other bird had hoisted up into the tree. (I left that orange slice on a plate near the ground and still can't figure out who dragged it up to that branch! This is a Cape May Warbler.



And then this little Sweetie showed up and got me all confused. After much pondering, and looking at several different pictures, I decided it was a Vireo.



He was bright, bright yellow under the throat and on the chest.



Next post will be on the new afghan knitting project, I promise!!

5 comments:

Pamela said...

I'm sure intrigued.

It looks like a little warbler - (hermit?)-
we don't have many warblers around here. I did see a yellow rumped warbler up on the snake river once.

I need to do some serious bird watching. Next time I'm coming with you!

AfKaP said...

Hi, Pamela,
You are so kind to always visit regularly! I was torn on that little yellow guy between Pine Warbler and yellow throated vireo. The books suggest that the vireo is recognizable because of spectacles. (Although the pine warbler has a line above its eye and a slight circle too. Breast is dimly streaked - back unstreaked. What do you think?)

AfKaP said...

Pamela,
I 've just been lucky - I'm usually a terrible bird watcher - we don't have any leaves on the trees yet this year, so it has been easier than usual!

ChrisB said...

Bird pictures are lovely and the birds in your garden are so pretty, not a bit like the awful Magpies I get in mine scaring everything in sight!

Pamela said...

I think you are right. It's the yellow throated vireo.

I saw a yellow warbler on my walk yesterday. Just as soon as I say I never see any -- then ta da.

I think I'm going to start saying all sorts of birds I never see.