Monday 12 May 2008

New Knitting Project and a Few More Birds

I've been real busy trying to wrap up the semester. Grading, grading, grading, so in my exhausted evening hours when I can't stand to look at another paper -I do what I call nervous knitting. This is mindless knitting just to be active. I won't touch my lace knitting when I'm tired, so I dug out a bunch of old acrylic yarn that I won't care if I ruin and started knitting squares. I'm on about my fourth one now and about a third of the way through my grading. When I get five squares in a row I'll start another row of squares. It might be a bit more interesting then.



I've also had a chance to shoot (photographically) a few new birds. The warblers are passing through, but we only seem to have the same old yellow rump warblers.

I did however see a redstart today (even though he was so nervous he wouldn't sit still to be photographed!



I caught a few in flight pictures today. They are blurry, but perhaps interesting.



Here's the redstart again:



Here is a nice shot of a cardinal.



And here is a sparrow. I always thought we didn't have any of these around and now that I look I see them all over. Of course I have no idea what kind of sparrow this is, but it is a lovely bird.



I'm thinking this is a plain old Song Sparrow getting a drink.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the birds.
I know some people don't like sparrows, but I enjoy watching them.

Nice knitty thing. Are you tapering down?

Pamela said...

I'm guessing it is a song sparrow.

just a guess. It looks somewhat like the song sparrows around here. However, they can look slightly different in other areas. You might peak at Lincoln's Sparrow too.

I love the song sparrow's lovely call