Tuesday 5 September 2017

Taking a Print Making class - first efforts

So, I'm sitting in on a print-making class and we did drapery today. Here are my three attempts today.


When I first did the above one. I was very dissatisfied, but the more I look at it now (especially after the second two, the more I like it, There is a quality of "ink" appkication that I really like. I felt like the pieces didn't hold together. It certainly does not look like draperies, but I actually feel like the pieces do connect in a meaningful way that suggests volume, even if they don't look like fabric and I like the image much better.

The image below was my second attempt. The sense of drapery is stronger. I fudged a bit on the white part (the original image did not have any lines on it. I used more line and used my brush to be sure that there were more striaght lines. I also took the image off the model and painted onto the glass looking at the image separately (rahter thanunderneath it, so I could see how the ink layered on the glass.
 

Both images feel quite abstract, but they do have a sense of volume and interconnectedness.

Unfortunatley the third image is compositionally inferior. I was freer in terms of what I used in the image and completely invented the right side of the image andit shows. It looks sloppy and generally boring. The left side also just sort of hangs off the page. I think I owuld like it better if it were compositionally more interesting.

No comments: