Thursday 14 April 2016

Updates Drawings and Garden


I bought some flowers at the grocery store, but didn'nt get around to unwrapping them for a while. Unfortunately the tulip stems rotted, so many had to go into a wine glass.


OUr first crocuses have been blooming. Seems pretty early to me, but there they are.

Here is the drawing I have been working on.  The building in back represents the Berghof Sanatorium, based on postcards of the time period. Settembrini and Naphta will stand on the right hand side of the page. I have begun Settembrini basing him loosely on Duke Warren of Surrey (I wasn't as crazy about the image of Leoncavallo and couldn't findone of him as a younger man. I am using Gyorgy Lukacs as a model of Naphta as did Thomas Mann. Perhaps the man  in the middle will be Mynheer Peeperkorn, with Castorp sitting to the left.


 Updated version below.


 I finished Lukacs/Naphta and added a kind of Gerhart Hauptmann face to the seated man in the middle. I think I will add a few vague building details in the section above Settembrini's head but leave one section to the left of it unrendered.

Here is a detail of Madame Chauchat. I feel like I have caught her slinkiness and forward tilted head.


This is a pen and ink version of a prior picture. It may not get much farther. I haven't been too happy with it.

No comments: