Tuesday 5 July 2011

A Real Life

I thought I would live in a house with College student furnishings for the rest of my life! Having been in the work force for more than 20 years now, I still somehow did not manage to acquire a real, solid piece of furniture .... Yes, we have a few cheap Swedish units and of course those immortal bricks and boards and I know most of our money has gone towards books, and traveling and well, .... ahem .... art supplies like paints, canvas, looms and (sigh) wool, .....NONETHELESS, I had still always hoped to have a prized piece of something that might be glimpsed in House Beautiful.

Okay, so spousal unit D and I decided a few weeks ago to splurge on a single beautiful furnitura objet. We went to the furniture store, (in fact we went to a lot of them) and examined one piece after another. After much cogitation we settled on a unit and then spent hours pouring over dozens of wood samples to decide just precisely what stain color would match all the mismatched pieces in our living/dining area. After much anxious discussion, we placed our order and settled in to wait for our special piece that would be made just for us and just for our Richard Bresnahan ceramic tea pots.

Well, today was the day! A gigantic truck backed up our football field long drive-way and two delivery men brought in our new piece. I'm sad to say, that I am moronically ecstatic!! With no difficulty I can imagine that my room is now one of that type that could easily appear in one of those stylish coffee table magazines.... at least I can do this if I choose a particular angle, move a few things around so no one sees my extension cords and three weeks of mail piled on the bookcase and if I shoot carefully and at a downward angle while perched on the coffee table leaning slightly onto the chair. I know I should seek satisfaction in things that are not material (and I will,) but for the moment, I am deliriously happy about having one single pristine piece of genuine furniture!



So now I'm looking at that bookcase. Don' you think it would look better in a Chadd's Ford Cherry or maybe Heritage Mahogany? Do you think they make it in Mid-century Modern?

2 comments:

cate markey said...

Wendy - it is beautiful...does this mean you have joined "the other side?"

AfKaP said...

I think you know me better than that, Cate! But it is nice to have a place in the house that is peaceful and not full of clutter, yarn and oil paints!