Thursday 4 March 2010

Japan First Day

Here are a few images from my first day in Japan.  I stayed in the Dormy Inn in Hatchobori because they have a spa. The spa was really nice. Of course it was steamy in there and I couldn't take pictures with people in there but during my jetlag sleeplessness at 5Am I snuck in and tried to get a few quick shots. Here is the outdoor tub that is located in a little garden (right in the heart of Tokyo).


Here is the inside bath.



Here's the dressing area of the spa.


I was hungry when I got up in the middle of the night, so I went out to a convenience store. Guess what they have "health" convenience stores! This is a Lawsons - called Lawsons Natural. (There are still all the same old  unhealthy snacks, but they also have organic hand creams and hygiene products. ) It is a funky kind of place.


Here is a picture from my hotel room of the little canal outside my window.




The hotel itself was a kind of boring beigy-grey concrete thing. The weather was grey too, so the shots aren't beautiful, but they are accurate at least!



This was the "garden" on the floor of my hotel room. (The flowers are all plastic of course, but I thought it was sort of interesting. There is a balcony on the floor above so this is a two story "atrium" except it is in the middle of the hotel (not on the first floor).



My room was clean and small and very nice with all the usual amenities. I also had a refrigerator and a small tatami area.


Of course I had to wear the little pajamas and take the standard photo.


If I look bleary eyed, it is because I am!!  At 7:00 a.m. I decided to move to my other hotel. I thought I would walk and it took only about 20 minutes to get to the Ginza and the Hotel Mercure. There was a demonstration about Power harassment in the Ginza. (I have no idea what this means, but it was interesting! I think this should be my motto for life!)


I was able to meet with my friend Miki and have this exquisite lunch! Look carefully at all the really cool food items there. I can't even begin to describe how delicious they were!



This is my new friend Pam.
          
  

We went shopping at some of the big department stores. I fell in love with this hand woven. Obi (It was in a little Kimono store in the Core building - I think.)



I thought this window display was flashy although I'm not sure I appreciate the sentiment.


I liked this curtain in Tiffanys. It is a fabric with ruffles and knots.



More to come....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An exciting start to an exciting trip!!!