Tuesday 5 May 2009

New Knitting Project

I don't have enough started projects and unfinished knitting projects, so just out of sheer whim, I decided to see if I could do free-form knitting. Free form crochet is so cool with all it's flurry of wild round discs and twirls and although I love knitted lace much more than crocheted things (except for Irish Crochet lace), it seems to me that in this one respect perhaps crochet has it over knitting. Here is an example of Irish crochet lace.
I wonder how long it took the maker to finish that wedding gown! Each of those forms is crocheted separately and then afterwards they are crocheted together. This was all done in order to imitate the beautiful Venetian lace that was popular hundreds of years ago.

Here is a close up of another piece of Irish lace also done in the Venetian style:



The knitted version seems to be more about color and texture. Of course my knitting isn't nearly as exciting as what other people are doing - like Velma's work:



http://farm1.static.flickr.com/183/386142089_b1cf96eb5e.jpg

Okay, anyway without further ado, here is what I ended up with. Of course it isn't lace, but it is really boring.



I think I need to add some buttons and maybe some embroidery on top. I did put Christmas tree tinselin the grey past, but somehow the piece lacks sparkle.




,

3 comments:

Nessa said...

Your piece is very interesting. That wedding dress is amazing.

Anonymous said...

What is that Irish knit lace thing you're making? It looks crazy and fun.

AfKaP said...

Hey, Pru - Yeah I'm making that Irish knit lace thing ... IN MY DREAMS!!