Sunday 21 September 2008

Trip to Karuizawa

I have taught intensive English in Karuizawa during the Spring four times in the past, so I was very excited to get the opportunity to see this resort town at a different season. For me going to Karuizawa is like going home - a familiar - comfortable place that is a combination of ritzy resorts and tumble down shacks - a place with so many oppositions and contrasts that I just have to feel at home. We were fortunate to have great interest in the trip and so there were 48 of us - My 15 students and a variety of international students as well as administrators from the University with which we are affiliated.



The trip up to the mountains is just beautiful. First there is urban sprawl and then smaller towns



and this all gives way eventually to the mountains.



One of our field trips involved visiting a soba retaurant where they make their own noodles. First we got to hike around in a nature park - famous for its wild flowers.



This is a lovely Malaysian student named Fatin and our International Studies office Liason Noriko. They justseem to glow out here in the woods.



This is a table near a huge gnarled tree trunk. My Aunt is headed towards the restaurant, while I



explored the falls and plants of the park.



There were no bad pictures to be taken.



Even the wasps were pretty.



After the nature walk we went in to the restaurant to enjoy the soba noodles. Buckwheat has never been my favorite, but these were absolutely delicious.



Back at the seminar house I was able to take a morning walk and enjoy some of the neighborhood. A rice field nearby looked peaceful - but the gong suggested that there was danger in the area.



Indeed it wasn't long before I noticed a thief stealing the kernels of rice.



I am told this is the equivalent of a Japanese turkey. It wasn't the only wildlife that I saw on that walk.



Even the view out the window yielded a chance to see a wild moth or butterfly.



We also got the chance to visit the outlet mall. I was thrilled to find Goma (sesame) icecream, which Ihave been told is a very healthy alternative to the usual sorts.



I also ran into the Karuizawa Ginza to visit a couple that I visit each time I am in town. The are always so sweet to me and although my Japanese is limited we also chat a bit and catch up.



They own a lovely souvenir shop and I highly recommend it to any one in the area. They have very tasteful and high quality things.



All too soon it was time to leave and we loaded back into the bus to head for Tokyo.



The scenery was absolutely breathtaking.



No picture does a mountain justice.



At the rest stp we shopped for our last souvenires. I always have to laugh at this delicious treat. But can never force myself to buy it. Who would you give a package of Virgin nipples?



I'll end with a few more scenic shots from the bus trip back.



Of course the students slept through most of the scenery - but it had been a successful trip.



For images from the lava park and of the students themselves visit http://csbsjujapan08.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi! Lovely pics. Is that trail close to the shopping plaza?

What bus would you recommend from central Tokyo to Karuizawa?

Thanks in advance!

AfKaP said...

Hi, H,

Thanks so much for the compliment. The trail (Lava Park) is a national park and is not near the shopping area. I am sorry that I don't have any info on buses from Tokyo. I have always taken a chartered bust o Karuizawa, although I know you can also take the Shinkansen (bullet train). To get to the Lava Park, I think you would have to check with the information people at the train station. (Again I have only gone by chartered bus, but I know that it must be possible to either take a bus or a train.